The links and information on this page are intended as a resource to help find specific information as it relates to Self Directed Retirement Plans.
Clicking on the links below will open a new window to the IRS website.
- Prohibited Transactions
- Retirement Plans FAQs regarding Plan Investments
- Internal Revenue Manual – Prohibited Transactions Publication 560:
Retirement Plans for Small Business (SEP, SIMPLE, and Qualified Plans)
- Publication 590:
Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
Correction to 2010 Publication 590, Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) — 14-FEB-2011
| — 14-FEB-If you downloaded the 2010 Publication 590 before February 5, 2011, please note the following changes.|
In the What’s New for 2011, on page 57, under Modified AGI limit for Roth IRA contributions increased, the amount in the last sentence of the 2nd bullet should be $122,000 (not $120,000). The 2nd bullet should read:
The amount should also be changed in the 3rd bullet in the paragraph under Table 2-1 on page 58. The 3rd bullet should read:
The corrected version of the 2010 Publication 590 is now available for download.
Pensions/Annuities/Retirement Plans (i.e., 401(k), etc.)
Top Frequently Asked Questions for Pensions/Annuities/Retirement Plans (i.e., 401(k), etc.)
- This is the first year that I received a distribution of benefits from my retirement plan. Are any of my benefits taxable?
- What is the maximum amount that I can contribute to my 401(k) plan?
- If taxes are withheld from a distribution from a 401(k) plan, am I required to include the amount of the distribution as income and also pay the 10% additional tax?
- Can I withdraw my elective contributions to a 401(k) plan penalty free to build or purchase my first home?
- If I retire or leave my employer for any reason (including due to being laid off) before I am age 59 1/2, can I withdraw my vested benefits under that employer’s 401(k) plan, without having to pay a 10% additional tax? What if I were 55 or older when I separated from service with my employer?
- How long do I have to roll over a retirement distribution?
- I am a plan sponsor. Where can I find additional information on retirement plan document design requirements and the IRS Determination Letter Program?
Frequently Asked Question Subcategories for Pensions/Annuities/Retirement Plans (i.e., 401(k), etc.)