The links and information on this page are intended as a resource to help find specific information as it relates to Self Directed Retirement Plans.
Clicking on the links below will open a new window to the IRS website.
- Prohibited Transactions
- Retirement Plans FAQs regarding Plan Investments
- Internal Revenue Manual – Prohibited Transactions Publication 560:
Retirement Plans for Small Business (SEP, SIMPLE, and Qualified Plans)
- Publication 590:
Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
Correction to 2010 Publication 590, Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) — 14-FEB-2011
| — 14-FEB-If you downloaded the 2010 Publication 590 before February 5, 2011, please note the following changes.
In the What’s New for 2011, on page 57, under Modified AGI limit for Roth IRA contributions increased, the amount in the last sentence of the 2nd bullet should be $122,000 (not $120,000). The 2nd bullet should read:
The amount should also be changed in the 3rd bullet in the paragraph under Table 2-1 on page 58. The 3rd bullet should read:
The corrected version of the 2010 Publication 590 is now available for download.
Pensions/Annuities/Retirement Plans (i.e., 401(k), etc.)
Top Frequently Asked Questions for Pensions/Annuities/Retirement Plans (i.e., 401(k), etc.)
- This is the first year that I received a distribution of benefits from my retirement plan. Are any of my benefits taxable?
- What is the maximum amount that I can contribute to my 401(k) plan?
- If taxes are withheld from a distribution from a 401(k) plan, am I required to include the amount of the distribution as income and also pay the 10% additional tax?
- Can I withdraw my elective contributions to a 401(k) plan penalty free to build or purchase my first home?
- If I retire or leave my employer for any reason (including due to being laid off) before I am age 59 1/2, can I withdraw my vested benefits under that employer’s 401(k) plan, without having to pay a 10% additional tax? What if I were 55 or older when I separated from service with my employer?
- How long do I have to roll over a retirement distribution?
- I am a plan sponsor. Where can I find additional information on retirement plan document design requirements and the IRS Determination Letter Program?
Frequently Asked Question Subcategories for Pensions/Annuities/Retirement Plans (i.e., 401(k), etc.)